Monday 2 September 2013

2 September - Boswinger to Bude

54.5 miles Boswinger to Wainhouse Corner (near Bude) all on NCN 3
Part One
Part Two

£2.99 sandwich from Luxlyan Post Office
£2.98 pint of orange juice and lemonade and packet of popcorn from pub in Bodmin
£1.02 Snickers bar and energy drink from St. Breward village store
£7.20 campsite at Wainhouse Corner (near Bude)

Another glorious day of cycling, if you forget the number of steep uphill sections. Quiet (and narrow) country lanes, cycle trails such as the Camel Trail, Clay Trail, and trail to Heligans Garden and the Eden Project, and occasional sections of busier roads through towns such as Bodmin.


I left Boswinger YHA hostel at 9:15am, having eaten my porridge pot with a cup of tea in the hostel garden and been as quiet as I could getting ready in the hostel room whilst my fellow dormitory residents slept in. I was pleasantly surprised at how I wasn't aching at all, and I felt refreshed and ready for another day's cycling after a good night's sleep.


The route I'd chosen for the 'End to End' is a wonderful circuitous (i.e. long) one, zig-zagging across Cornwall to ensure I visit both north and south coasts as often as possible. This adds mile to my journey (as well as hills, I'm sure), but makes the scenery endlessly interesting.



I started the day thinking I'd get to my campsite just south of Bude with time to go sight-seeing, but as the day wore on and the hills kept coming I revised my expectations, hoping that at least I would arrive in the light to put up the tent. I had a few quick sections of road, but also a few wrong turnings (which always seem to mean an extra big hill to climb, then turn to go back down again), so despite leaving Boswinger at a good time, and only having 50 miles to cover, I rode into the campsite at 6.30pm.

A pub just a mile from the campsite meant I could sit in comfort to update the blog and have a sirloin steak with a couple of pints of local ale before returning to the campsite and climbing into my little tent.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment